Periodontics/Bleeding Gums

Question
For the past year, I have been having issues with my gums bleeding. This ONLY happens when flossing. My gums are never sore or sensitive, nor do I bleed any other time of day, including brushing. When I floss, however, I tend to bleed. This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen a few times a week.

I have always been very meticulous about my teeth and gum care, brushing and flossing twice daily. I use a gentle GUM tooth brush and I am gentle when flossing. I also maintain a healthy diet that includes a good multi-vitamin.

I first experienced this bleeding when I had my last cleaning 6 months ago. When the hygienist scraped along my gum line, I bled a very large amount. The napkin under my chin was soaked. It was horrifying! The dentist gave me a prescription anti-bacterial mouth rinse. I used that for two weeks, but it didn't help at all.

When I floss now, the bleeding is usually minimal, but it concerns me. I am only 29 years old and gum disease does not run in my family (to my knowledge). I am also NOT pregnant (I have read that pregnant women can experience bleeding gums.) Is this definitely a form of gum disease, or could there be other causes for bleeding gums?

Answer
Bleeding gums is a symptom of gingivitis.  This is the body's reaction to exposure to plaque. Pregnency, birth control pills and menstruation can all make a person more sensitive to plaque.   Occasional bleeding may be related to your flossing technique.  You may be traumatizing the gums in certain areas on occasion when flossing.

I would suggest you ask your dentist about it the next time you are there.

Best of luck
Dr. Scharf

Periodontics

David Scharf