Periodontics/Teeth Problem

My name is Mari, and I'm 16. I'm writing because I have come to realise that I am really uncomfortable with my teeth, and I would like a professional opinion. (It is very difficult to get to see a dentist, but I'm working on it.)

So, I had braces for about four years, and got them taken off two years ago. I didn't think anything was particularly wrong with my teeth until this summer when I all of a sudden relaised that my two front teeth are disproportionately large and oddly shaped. To make matters worse, I never got a retainer, so my teeth have been shifting since the removal of my braces. I am attaching two photos so you can have a look for yourself.

Now- do you agree with me that they are odd? What measures can I take to fix them? Is it possible to sand them or something? I feel really self conscious now and am embarrassed to smile naturally since I think my teeth make me look really ugly. It is coming to the point that I obsess over it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Mari,

Once you are finished with braces, retainers are a must and for life or your teeth will tend to relapse.
As far as the size of your teeth, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'
If you are are not happy with the size/shape of your teeth, you can have the dentist reshape your teeth by 'shaving off' the excess tooth structure or by placing veneers.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award