Periodontics/Teeth Problem

Question
First...
First...  

Second...
Second...  
Hello!
My name is Mari, and I'm 16. I'm writing because I have come to realise that I am really uncomfortable with my teeth, and I would like a professional opinion. (It is very difficult to get to see a dentist, but I'm working on it.)

So, I had braces for about four years, and got them taken off two years ago. I didn't think anything was particularly wrong with my teeth until this summer when I all of a sudden relaised that my two front teeth are disproportionately large and oddly shaped. To make matters worse, I never got a retainer, so my teeth have been shifting since the removal of my braces. I am attaching two photos so you can have a look for yourself.

Now- do you agree with me that they are odd? What measures can I take to fix them? Is it possible to sand them or something? I feel really self conscious now and am embarrassed to smile naturally since I think my teeth make me look really ugly. It is coming to the point that I obsess over it.

Thank you so much for your help!

-Mari

Answer
Hi Mari,

Once you are finished with braces, retainers are a must and for life or your teeth will tend to relapse.
As far as the size of your teeth, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'
If you are are not happy with the size/shape of your teeth, you can have the dentist reshape your teeth by 'shaving off' the excess tooth structure or by placing veneers.

-Dr.Kong
www.betterlivingdentistry.com

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com