Periodontics/extraction?

Question
Hello,

I am scheduled to see a periodontist to potentially save a tooth (as I have bone loss on my first molar on the top right side.) I have lost the first molar on the left side (root canal but no crown and tooth broke off).....anyhow my dentist wants me to see a periodontist to save the other first molar and then potentially remove both my wisdom teeth.

I'm just looking for more opinion....I was thinking of probably just removing the first molar on the right side to match the missing one on the left side, and then getting braces to pull the secondary molar and wisdom teeth forward to replace the missing first molars. Is this a realistic option?

Thanks

Answer
Whether the first molar is worth saving depends on how much and in what manner bone has been lost around it. For instance, if there is very little or no bone between the roots, all efforts to save the tooth are uncertain. The outcome of periodontal treatment to save the tooth also depends on other factors. Most importantly, if you smoke it is very unlikely that you can get new bone around the tooth.

The best possible treatment thus depends on the general situation and health of your teeth and mouth.

Removing the first molar and moving the remaining two molars on both sides forward with orthodontics might be a realistic option if the first molar with bone loss is the only tooth with such a periodontal problem and if all the remaining teeth are in good condition both periodontally and in regard to restorations.

When judging the orthodontic treatment option, also the general interrelationship of the jaws and the manner in which the upper and lower teeth come together when the mouth is closed must be taken into consideration.

I suggest that you see both a periodontist and an orthodontist. They will explain how they see the situation and what kind of treatment would be best.

Periodontics

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD