Periodontics/Gums

Question
Mr. Scharf I would like to get more than one persons opinion, I would like to ask someone who is experienced and not really a periodontist, But those are the only real qualified people to do so. I would like to ask, my wife has periodontitis, I think pronounced correctly, and she goes for these very deep cleanings. They now are saying they would like to cut here gums in 4 locations at 4 different visits, to clean deeper where they cant get, and to help the gum re-attach it self to the tooth from the deep pocket cleans from the other visits. I guess this means it has not been attaching itself since those cleaning visits. I have heard that these surgeries for periodontitis actually have proven to speed up the tooth loss than stopping the disease. Is there other alternatives out there? I don't understand though why it would speed things up, other than the bacteria can now thrive big time because of the opening of the gums, maybe because of some reason? Can this infection actually be
stopped? Or is this a on going life to the periodontist to try to keep cleaning out the bacteria under the teeth? I would like to hear all your advice Mr. Scharf
Thank you,
Bill

Answer
Doing gum surgery does not speed up the loss of teeth.  If it did we would not do it.  If gum surgery is done in a patient with poor oral hygiene, or who does not get their teeth cleaned on a regular basis, then it is usually not effective in reducing the disease.  The purpose of gum surgery is to gain access to the root surface to clean off the calculus and to make the pocket shallow.  This facilitates proper oral hygiene by the patient and enhances the effectiveness of the person cleaning her teeth.  An alternative to cut and stitch gum surgery is called LANAP.  You can learn about it here:  http://longislandlaserperio.com  In any event if she is going to have gum surgery I would recommend that you see a specialist(periodontist)for a consultation.

Best of luck

Dr. Scharf

Periodontics

David Scharf