Periodontics/dental implant

Hello Dr. Siegelman,
       due to very twisted roots on my #31 molar, my endodontist was not able to clean out all of the pulp from one of my canals, and I now have a painless, but low grade infection around the root and am going to have it extracted.  Since it is the very last molar is it even necessary to put an implant in it's place?  Also, could I wait a long time (like years) before getting one?  Due to the outrageous cost of implants in my area I just can't afford it right now.

Joe, it is not necessary to place in implant in the area where you are losing a tooth.  However, once a tooth is removed over time the bone can slowly resorb making it difficult to place an implant in the future.  If a bone graft is placed into the socket at the time of tooth extraction that will help prevent resorption in the future and would most likely allow you to have an implant later, even years.  Understand that in the future the cost will most likely not go down.  In my area the implant is about $1500 and the crown can be done at the hospital dental clinic for $800.   

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.