Periodontics/Gums

Question
The skin on my outer gums and on my lips have been coming off. I got my tongue pierced four days ago and yesterday I really noticed some pain where my lips meet my gums. When I checked it out it looked like pus at first but then I realized it was blood and skin from my lips and gums. I use non alcoholic mouth was and I was using a little bit after every time I ate, and smoked. I don't know if I was just using too much mouth wash, or if the piercing caused these things. I would really hate to take it out and it close up, as a friend paid for it for my birthday.
Any solutions?

Answer
Hi Danielle,

Without seeing clinical pictures, I can't give you a definitive answer.
It does seem like there are issues with your gums from what you describe.  Pain, bleeding or pus is a way your body is telling you something may not be right.  Please go see your local dentist for an oral evaluation.

-Dr.Kong

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com