My name is Mariah. My brother who is 23 years of age is now living in Turku, Finland. Prior to his yesterday departure, I noticed that the gum line on his front teeth were receding. In addition to that, the gum lines in his bottom teeth have already receded far down. As his sister, I am genuinely concerned for his dental health considering his financial struggle to make ends meet in terms of getting it dealt with since he is a full-time student. I was wondering if there is any way by which he can get a hold of you and arrange an appointment to get it figured out, and your price ranges if possible. I am hoping for your prompt response.

Yours faithfully,

You should know that in Finland most people and facilities are on vacation in July. This is the case for schools, colleges and universities, and for dentists including me. Therefore, this time of the year is a good time for a holiday in Finland but not a good time for business.

There are several excellent periodontists in Turku. There is also a Dental school that offers specialist level dental care for very affordable prices. In Finland all full-time students have a right to financially compensated dental care, including all dental specialties.

I live and work in Helsinki, located 165 kilometers away from Turku. This means about 2 hours by train. If your brother decides to contact me, he can ask for my phone number at the dental school, they will find it for him. He can also find me and my office on the internet. But please, let your brother decide what he wants to do.

An appointment to any private periodontist in Finland will cost around 100 to 150 , depending on the length of the appointment and on the kind of examination that is needed.  

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD

I am a periodontist living and working in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, where I have my private dental practice. I am an international member of the American Academy of Periodontology. I have a Ph.D degree and a long background in research and teaching at the University of Helsinki and at the University of Turku, Finland. I function as an adjunct Professor at these Universities. I have also worked as a visiting scientist at the Scripps Clinic and research Foundation, la Jolla, CA. I can answer any question in the fields of dentistry and periodontics.

Private practitioner in Helsinki, Finland over 20 years. Former researcher and teacher at two Finnish Universities.

The Finnish Society of Dentists, Division of Periodontology, American academy of Periodontology

Over 30 scientific research articles published in peer-reviewed international scientific journals (can be found on PubMed)

D.D.S., Ph.D, Specialist in Periodontology. Adjunct Professor.

Visiting Scientist at the Scripps Research Foundation, San Diego, California, 1992-1994. NIH grant

Dental patients, national and international. All kinds of dental, oral and temporomandibular joint problems