Periodontics/Implants and osteoporisis meds

I have had conflicting views of when to do implants.  My internist says do all your jaw work done before taking a
alendronate.  My Periodontist say it can be done while taking the meds.  Only 7% chance of having problems.  My regular dentist seems to agree with my MD.  I'm very confused.  Can you give me your opinion?

Thank you,

Dear Judy,

The medication you are referring to is an oral bisphosphonate that is taken for osteoporosis.  The literature indicates that there having implant therapy done while taking this type of medication caries an extremely low risk.  Less than 1 in a million.  The problem with bisphosphonates are the intravenous kinds that are usually given for cancer treatment.  Those drugs are should not be given until all dental work is done.  I don't think the 7% chance of having a problem is correct.  I believe it is much lower than that.  I agree with your periodontist, but obviously in the end you need to make an informed decision.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.