Periodontics/Implants and osteoporisis meds

Question
I have had conflicting views of when to do implants.  My internist says do all your jaw work done before taking a
alendronate.  My Periodontist say it can be done while taking the meds.  Only 7% chance of having problems.  My regular dentist seems to agree with my MD.  I'm very confused.  Can you give me your opinion?

Thank you,
Judy

Answer
Dear Judy,

The medication you are referring to is an oral bisphosphonate that is taken for osteoporosis.  The literature indicates that there having implant therapy done while taking this type of medication caries an extremely low risk.  Less than 1 in a million.  The problem with bisphosphonates are the intravenous kinds that are usually given for cancer treatment.  Those drugs are should not be given until all dental work is done.  I don't think the 7% chance of having a problem is correct.  I believe it is much lower than that.  I agree with your periodontist, but obviously in the end you need to make an informed decision.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Periodontics

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS