Periodontics/Laser vs. flap surgery

Hi I have just found out that I have gum disease in 4 molars.  I have never missed an appt and my dentist totally missed it.  I went to a periodontist and he wants to do the flap surgery.  One tooth is 8mm and the other 3 are 6mm.  The rest of my teeth are fine.  I have always flossed 3 times a day.  Do you think I would be a good candidate for laser surgery?  I am terrified of the flap surgery.  Thank you

Long Island Periodontist Dr. David Scharf
Long Island Periodonti  
Hi Lee:
The laser procedure called LANAP has almost completely replaced cut and stitch surgery in my practice.  I have found it to be equally effective as flap surgery with practically no discomfort and less recession.

If you go to this web page
you will gain a greater understanding of the procedure.  Please note that LANAP using the Periolase laser Millennium technologies is the only FDA approved laser treatment for periodontal disease.  Procedures using a diode laser, CO2 laser, or erbium laser (Biolase) do not have the scientific research or histologic data to demonstrate their effectiveness.   

If you go to you can find practitioners certified in the LANAP procedure.  I would not go to anyone else for laser periodontal treatment.

Good luck
Dr. Scharf

David Scharf

I am a board Certified periodontist which means that I am an expert in treating gum disease (periodontal disease) and placing dental implants. I can answer questions related to treating gum disease, bleeding gums, maintaining healthy gums, and structural issues with the gums such as recession, to gummy a smile, crown lengthening etc. I am also certified in Laser Periodontal therapy which allows me to treat gum disease with a laser rather than a scalpel. I can address those questions as well.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 1990. I have treated thousands of patients for both gum disease and dental implants. I currently an a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry at the nations largest dental school.

Journal of the American Dental Association, Journal of Periodontology, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Implants

BA/DMD Boston University Cum Laud. Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Periodontics fro New York University. Board Certification in Periodontics 1995

e was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the "Phi Beta Kappa" for dentists), and received the Boston University award for Excellence in Periodontology, the Boston University Predoctoral Prosthetic Award for Excellence in Prosthetics, and the Academy of General Dentistry Outstanding Senior Student Award, the Boston University Operative Dentistry Special Achievement Award, and the Quintessence Publishing Company Outstanding Senior Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Following dental school, Dr. Scharf completed a year long General Practice Residency at The Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. As a resident at this top New York program, he gained extensive clinical experience in such fields as prothodontics, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, oral surgery, management of the medically compromised patient, and general dentistry. This experience was completed by clinical rotations in the departments of general medicine, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.