Hi ihave just had osseous surgery on my lower molar with bone regeneration.  I came through okay and followed all the directions.  Now on the 5th day I am experiencing sensitivity in that area and it throbs after I eat and drink.  I do not chew on that side at all.  Is this normal? It isn't just that tooth that feels sensitive it is that whole side.  Thank you, Liz

Dear Liz,

Sensitivity is a 'normal' side effect of osseous surgery early on in the healing.  It should get better every week, but if it's still uncomfortably sensitive after 4 week, please let your periodontist know.  He may apply a desensitizing solution to the teeth that will make it less sensitive.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award