Periodontics/Surgery

Question
Hi ihave just had osseous surgery on my lower molar with bone regeneration.  I came through okay and followed all the directions.  Now on the 5th day I am experiencing sensitivity in that area and it throbs after I eat and drink.  I do not chew on that side at all.  Is this normal? It isn't just that tooth that feels sensitive it is that whole side.  Thank you, Liz

Answer
Dear Liz,

Sensitivity is a 'normal' side effect of osseous surgery early on in the healing.  It should get better every week, but if it's still uncomfortably sensitive after 4 week, please let your periodontist know.  He may apply a desensitizing solution to the teeth that will make it less sensitive.

-Dr.Kong
www.betterlivingdentistry.com

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com