Periodontics/Temp Crown Replacement

Question
Hello -

I had a bridge on 13-14-15 which was removed in Dec. 2012. I've had a temp crown put on 13 while 14 and 15 had bone grafts in preparation for implants. The oral surgeon wanted me to keep the temp crown on 13 until after the implants were done in case he needed to remove it to work in the area or move gum around. As you know, this process is 12 months total. My dentist freaked about 6 months in saying this was terrible dental care and the temp crown needed to be replaced as it could break or something and lead to need for a root canal. I've now switched oral surgeons to do the implants and he suggests removing the temp crown now and putting on a replacement crown. Now 9 months in, my dentist is saying it's okay to leave the temp crown on until the implants. What do you think? Is it time to replace the temp crown or leave it be?

Answer
Dear Chris,

It really depends.  If the temporary crown was well made and has no open margins it should be ok.  However, most temporary crowns are not well made.  They can have openings around them that will let bacteria get underneath of them and cause decay and further problems.  If your current dentist has evaluated it carefully and feels its doing ok and is stable then I think your going to be ok. Generally we don't like these things to be on too long for the reasons I previoulsy mentioned, but I have seen temporaries be used for longer than 1 year and they worked out well.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Periodontics

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS