Periodontics/do my gums look healthy?

Question
teeth
teeth  
I'm due to get fitting for braces soon my teeth are super crooked. I haven't gotten my gums and teeth checked out for a couple of months now. Does everything look okay Are my gums receeding or do do they look like that because I have a severe over bite?

Answer
Layla, just based on the photo you provided I don't see any real problems with your gums.  I don't see any recession.  You don't have an over bite, you have something called an open bite.  When you bite down your upper teeth should somewhat overlap your lower teeth and actually be touching.  I think you are wise to have braces.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Periodontics

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS