Periodontics/do my gums look healthy?

I'm due to get fitting for braces soon my teeth are super crooked. I haven't gotten my gums and teeth checked out for a couple of months now. Does everything look okay Are my gums receeding or do do they look like that because I have a severe over bite?

Layla, just based on the photo you provided I don't see any real problems with your gums.  I don't see any recession.  You don't have an over bite, you have something called an open bite.  When you bite down your upper teeth should somewhat overlap your lower teeth and actually be touching.  I think you are wise to have braces.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.