Periodontics/Perio disease - bone graft

Question

If you have lost most of your bone around teeth due to gum disease (say more than 70%), is it still possible to have specialist surgery such as having replacement bone graft put in?
Or is there no limit to what can be replaced?

Answer
Dear Lisa,

It's almost impossible to regenerate 100% of lost bone due to gum disease when you have that much boneloss, but that said, depending on the type of defect (horizontal vs. vertical; 1-wall vs. 3-wall, etc), a periodontist can regenerate a significant percentage of lost bone.  So, to answer your question, if regenerating lost bone is very case dependent.

-Dr.Kong
www.betterlivingdentistry.com

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com