Periodontics/Perio disease - bone graft

If you have lost most of your bone around teeth due to gum disease (say more than 70%), is it still possible to have specialist surgery such as having replacement bone graft put in?
Or is there no limit to what can be replaced?

Dear Lisa,

It's almost impossible to regenerate 100% of lost bone due to gum disease when you have that much boneloss, but that said, depending on the type of defect (horizontal vs. vertical; 1-wall vs. 3-wall, etc), a periodontist can regenerate a significant percentage of lost bone.  So, to answer your question, if regenerating lost bone is very case dependent.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award