Periodontics/Misunderstanding ?

Question
Dear Dr. Scharf,

I wanted to reply to your most recent post regarding my questions on crown lengthening, but that option was not available. Therefore I opened a new dialogue.
As you stated "good job on the crowns", I realized that there may be a misunderstanding.It appears, you looked at crown # 29 and maybe also crown # 31 (a 3-piece-bridge). Crowns # 29 and # 31 are indeed excellent crowns, I agree with you. The bridge is still in place and never caused any problems. The bridge was done by a different dentist than the dentist who did the crown on # 28. My original post was about crown # 28 only, which came off in only 14 months after cementation, not the other crowns. The crown on # 28 was not retained adequately evidently. The bone levels (both distal and misial) are the same, in the BEFORE and AFTER x-rays. The x-rays show no bone reduction in the bones around tooth # 28. Would you mind looking at the x-rays again, only at tooth/crown # 28 ? Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Answer
Crown lengthening is done for multiple reasons.  The first is to establish biologic width.  That is, if the decay is too close to the bone the bone is reduced somewhat so that the crown margin is not too close to the bone.  It appears that this was done on the distal of #28.  Crown lengthening is  also done to make a tooth longer to increase retention of the crown.  In that case typically the crown lengthening is done around the circumference of the tooth.
Best regards

Periodontics

David Scharf