Periodontics/Swollen gums and loose tooth

Hello Doctor,

A month back, I had severe throbbing pain in my lower molar. I went to dentist and they advised root canal. Meanwhile, they gave me amoxicillin. The pain vanished in few days. I had the surgery in mind, but wanted to wait 2 months collect money for it.

Later, I did not have pain again until yesterday evening. My upper and lower gums one left became swollen and the same lower molar tooth seems to be moving.

Will I loose the tooth? Do you think I can wait one more month for root canal?

The amoxicillin just damped the infection for some time, but the problem remains until the root canal treatment has been done.

The situation might be worse now than it was 2 months ago.

It is not possible to judge the situation without x-rays.

Therefore, I do not think that you should wait any longer if you want to save the tooth.

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD

I am a periodontist living and working in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, where I have my private dental practice. I am an international member of the American Academy of Periodontology. I have a Ph.D degree and a long background in research and teaching at the University of Helsinki and at the University of Turku, Finland. I function as an adjunct Professor at these Universities. I have also worked as a visiting scientist at the Scripps Clinic and research Foundation, la Jolla, CA. I can answer any question in the fields of dentistry and periodontics.

Private practitioner in Helsinki, Finland over 20 years. Former researcher and teacher at two Finnish Universities.

The Finnish Society of Dentists, Division of Periodontology, American academy of Periodontology

Over 30 scientific research articles published in peer-reviewed international scientific journals (can be found on PubMed)

D.D.S., Ph.D, Specialist in Periodontology. Adjunct Professor.

Visiting Scientist at the Scripps Research Foundation, San Diego, California, 1992-1994. NIH grant

Dental patients, national and international. All kinds of dental, oral and temporomandibular joint problems