Periodontics/Arestin or Nothing

Question
Hi Siegelman,

I received two periodontal treatment plans. The first plan wants to do 11 pockets with Arestin @$65 per pocket. Teeth 2, 3, 7, 8, 14, 18, 19, 20, 28, 29 & 30. In addition, the Four Quadrants will be done at $250.00 each. (D4381 and D4341 respectively). The second plan will not use Arestin. Instead, The Four Quadrants will be done at $250.00 each(scaling and root Planing) and also the dentist wants to do an Occlusal Adjustment @ $395.00.

Which plan should I go with? Do I need a third opinion?

Thanks.

Lew

Answer
Lew, without knowing what your diagnosis is or what the extent of your disease is, it is hard to know which plan of treatment is best.  However, I can tell you that the Arestin costs the doctor about $12 for each ampule that is used.  It takes about 5 seconds to deliver it. If you can send me via e mail your digital x rays that would help.  I also think that the use of Arestin in this case leads me to recommend you get another opinion from a periodontist.  It doesn't mean it is incorrect to use it, but another opinion would be helpful.

Good luck
Dr. Siegelman

Periodontics

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS