Periodontics/Laser gum therapy

QUESTION: I have been told that I have a lot of bone loss, with some pocket depth @ 9mm.  I wonder whether the LANAP laser treatment can possibly work on such teeth.  Also, would bone actually grow back, even in the 9mm pockets?  If not, could a bone graft somehow be done on those teeth?

I realize you cannot see my specific situation, but I would like to hear whether you believe it to be possible.  

Thanks for your insight

ANSWER: Hi Barbara:

YES.  LANAP can work on very deep pockets and I think it works better on deep pockets than cut and stitch surgery.  It does not always regrow bone, nor does any other procedure.   I have found the results to be very impressive and much more comfortable and less invasive for patients.

Here is a link for more information on LANAP

If you let me know here you are located perhaps I can recommend a dentist trained in LANAP who can evaluate your situation.  Have hope, I think LANAP is teriffic.

Good luck
Dr. Scharf

QUESTION: Hi, thanks for this encouraging news.  I realize it may not work for me, but at least I can be optimistic!  I live in Ocala, Florida.  I have not been able to find anyone here, although I have found a few within 100 miles, which is ok since I travel around the state for my work.

If you know of anyone in Ocala, that would be helpful and appreciated.

One last thought:  A couple of my teeth are loose, which I guess means bone loss is significant.  Is bone in those areas less likely to grow back?

Again, I really appreciate your time and thoughts.

Hi Barbara

I don't know anyone in Ocala.  The company that invented the Lanap procedure and trains dentists in the procedure maintains a database of all lanap certified practitioners.  Go to  You will be able to submit a request to find a practitioner.  You should only see someone trained and certified to perform the procedure.  Many docs claim they are doing lanap but have never had the training and are not doing lanap.  I am a certified lanap trainer and I can tell you that the training one must undergo to become certified on lanap is quite extensive and thorough.  

As far as you loose teeth go, whether or not bone can be regrown depends on many factors.  Looseness in and of itself does not preclude the possibility of bone regeneration.  Lanap involves adjusting the bite so as to balance the forces on the teeth.  Many times this results in a dramatic decrease in tooth mobility.  

Don't be despondent. See a lanap trained doctor and have an examination.

Good luck. Drop me a note to let me know how things turn out.

Best regards
Dr.  Scharf
Long Island periodontist

David Scharf

I am a board Certified periodontist which means that I am an expert in treating gum disease (periodontal disease) and placing dental implants. I can answer questions related to treating gum disease, bleeding gums, maintaining healthy gums, and structural issues with the gums such as recession, to gummy a smile, crown lengthening etc. I am also certified in Laser Periodontal therapy which allows me to treat gum disease with a laser rather than a scalpel. I can address those questions as well.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 1990. I have treated thousands of patients for both gum disease and dental implants. I currently an a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry at the nations largest dental school.

Journal of the American Dental Association, Journal of Periodontology, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Implants

BA/DMD Boston University Cum Laud. Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Periodontics fro New York University. Board Certification in Periodontics 1995

e was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the "Phi Beta Kappa" for dentists), and received the Boston University award for Excellence in Periodontology, the Boston University Predoctoral Prosthetic Award for Excellence in Prosthetics, and the Academy of General Dentistry Outstanding Senior Student Award, the Boston University Operative Dentistry Special Achievement Award, and the Quintessence Publishing Company Outstanding Senior Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Following dental school, Dr. Scharf completed a year long General Practice Residency at The Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. As a resident at this top New York program, he gained extensive clinical experience in such fields as prothodontics, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, oral surgery, management of the medically compromised patient, and general dentistry. This experience was completed by clinical rotations in the departments of general medicine, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.