Periodontics/About antibiotic

Question
Hi Dr. Segal,

I have localized pocket at left top 2nd molar of 9mm, and my periodontist is going to do a bone regeneration ( flap surgery and bone graft, harvest the bone behind 3rd molar) for me.  She prescribed 2 kinds of antibiotics (amoxicillin and metronidazole) 250mg 3 times/day for 21 days starting the day before surgery.  

My question is:  is the 3 weeks of antibiotic necessary?  Is it normal to take antibiotic for this long?  I'm 31 years old, generally healthy, last time I have any antibiotics was probably when I was very little.  

Just want to make sure before I start taking them.

Thank you!

Amy L.

Answer
Hi Amy, There are multiple protocols for grafting bone for periodontal defects. It sounds you have concerns about the use of antibiotics. The use of antibiotics during grafting procedures is normal. I would encourage you to discuss this with your periodontist.

Good luck and speedy healing,
Dr. Ed

Periodontics

Edward H. Segal, DDS, FICD