Periodontics/Bitter taste in mouth

Hi, a few days ago I woke up with a bitter taste in my mouth.  It varies in intensity. I do not take any medications and I am healthy.  I went to my general dentist in July and had my teeth cleaned and xrayed and was told everything was fine. In the past year I have had 2 osseous surgeries and one of them  had regeneration.  This is the fifth day that I have had this and eating seems to make it worse. Should I see my family physician, my general dentist or my periodontosist?  I have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year. Thank you!

It is very difficult for me to guess what is causing the bitter taste. I do not have any information regarding the health and condition of your teeth and gums. For instance, why did you have the surgeries if everything was fine?

However, if your teeth and gums really are in good condition, then the reason might be in your nose or throat. Or in what you have been eating or drinking lately. Or maybe you have some new infection, caused by bacteria, fungi or viruses.

Try cleaning your teeth extremely carefully and flossing in the evening so that the floss reaches under the gum line. You could also try cleaning the surface of your tongue.

If your problem persists, see first your periodontist. If nothing is wrong in the mouth, you could make an appointment with an otolaryngologist who examines your nose, throat and ears.

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD

I am a periodontist living and working in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, where I have my private dental practice. I am an international member of the American Academy of Periodontology. I have a Ph.D degree and a long background in research and teaching at the University of Helsinki and at the University of Turku, Finland. I function as an adjunct Professor at these Universities. I have also worked as a visiting scientist at the Scripps Clinic and research Foundation, la Jolla, CA. I can answer any question in the fields of dentistry and periodontics.

Private practitioner in Helsinki, Finland over 20 years. Former researcher and teacher at two Finnish Universities.

The Finnish Society of Dentists, Division of Periodontology, American academy of Periodontology

Over 30 scientific research articles published in peer-reviewed international scientific journals (can be found on PubMed)

D.D.S., Ph.D, Specialist in Periodontology. Adjunct Professor.

Visiting Scientist at the Scripps Research Foundation, San Diego, California, 1992-1994. NIH grant

Dental patients, national and international. All kinds of dental, oral and temporomandibular joint problems