Periodontics/Gum graft

I had a gum graft a year and a half ago that failed and had it redone last Wednesday. My periodontist told me he doesn't know why the last one failed because I did everything correctly. How can I help ensure that this one takes?

David, if you follow all of the post operative instructions given to you I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it from working.  I would say that if you are a smoker continuing to smoke will not help the healing process.  Normally when a graft fails is it rarely the fault of the patient.  Lets keep our fingers crossed that this one works.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.