Periodontics/Connective Tissue Graft expectations

Hi Dr. Kong, I had a connective tissue graft Dec. 22. I went in for my post op January 7 and my periodontist said everything looked great. Yesterday, I decided to look at the area for the first time and I don't see much difference than before. It looks like there's a lot of change as far as root coverage. My periodontist told me that I shouldn't worry because root coverage wasn't the main goal, but rather healthy tissue around the tooth. He said I would still have some recession, but I didn't think it'd be this much. I'm frustrated because I didn't see what I thought I would. He asked me if I had trauma to the site and I don't think I have had any. Should I worry or am I overly worried because I'm not seeing what I thought I'd see?

First, you should communicate your frustrations with your dentist so he can make it more clear for you.  Maybe he has a solution for you.

That said, depending on the gum graft, it can cover the receded roots and/or give you more attached/keratinized gingiva to help 'protect' the tooth.  If the goal of the gum graft was accomplished, you shouldn't worry so much.

-Dr. Kong  

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award