Periodontics/Rear Molar too short. Crown keeps coming off.

Question
My lower L. molar at the back (#7) was badly damaged, had root canal treatment and filling and was then fitted with a crown in 2009. In 2012 this crown started to come off very often. My dentist said that my molar (height above gum line) was very short. Each time this crown came off it was recemented, but the last time on 24/12/2014 it disappeared while I was eating (I must have swallowed it by mistake). There is no LL tooth #8, and LL tooth #6 has a crown and has had no problem. Now, I am not using this molar (#7), and am using the teeth on the right side (LR tooth #6 missing) for eating.  

What options do I have ? Is crown lengthening on this LL molar (#7) viable ? What are the risks ? Will crown lengthening loosen this molar and make it unable to perform its chewing function ? Will the exposed roots be difficult to clean and cause problems ? Will adjacent teeth be affected ? In case crown lengthening fails, is it not possible to insert an implant later ? Is forced extrusion viable and what are the risks ?

Answer
Wow 8 questions.  They are all good questions and best answered by the dentist who examined you and recommended crown lengthening as the answers are not general but related you your tooth specifically.

In general terms
What options do I have ?  Crown lengthen, extract tooth, make new crown without crown lengthening, leave as is without crown.
Is crown lengthening on this LL molar (#7) viable?  Depends on the anatomy of the area, usually yes
What are the risks ?  Discuss with examining dentist
Will crown lengthening loosen this molar and make it unable to perform its chewing function ? Usually not
Will the exposed roots be difficult to clean and cause problems ? usually not, the roots will not remain exposed, they will be covered by the new crown.
Will adjacent teeth be affected ?  Some bone us usually removed from the teeth next to the one being lengthened.  The procedure is usualy not done if removing the bone will compromise the adjacent teeth.
In case crown lengthening fails, is it not possible to insert an implant later ?   Usually but it depends on the anatomy of the area.
Is forced extrusion viable and what are the risks ?  Probably not a viable option, surgical crown lengthening still needed after forced eruption.

Periodontics

David Scharf