Periodontics/Receding Gums and Gingivitis

Bottom Teeth
Bottom Teeth  

Inner Teeth
Inner Teeth  
Hi my name is Erica and I am 21. I never used to floss growing up and I would only brush 2 times a day. However I went to the dentist for the first time in a year and she told me that my gums were really bad and I had a gingivitis. So she did a PSR on which is the quick method of the periodontal exam and all my numbers were code 1's. She scheduled me for a full debridement and told me to floss everyday and brush my teeth times a day and use mouthwash. She said the gingivitis is reversiable since I don't have any bone loss. However, that was three months ago. MY gums have healed up competly. and I floss everyday and use mouthwash and also changed to a sonicare brush. However, I feel like i am going crazy I worry that I have periodontal pockets and when I began flossing I noticed that the floss was able to go down into my lower too front teeth. Its feels uncomfortable when I do it as well. I worry that my lower gums are receding and I need your help to tell me if you they look like they are receding and how bad do you think it is. Also my teeth have always been sensitive but my lower two front teeth are especially sensitive now and I am worried I going to have bone loss they the recession is extremely bad! My next followup appointment which she said is the examination of my teeth is next week and I am worried. Also do you feel that she should do a full periodontal exam the next time she sees me??

Hi Erica

From the picture you sent me it does not look like there is any recession of the lower front gums.  You may want to have the dentist check your flossing technique just to give you peace of mind.

Good for you that you nipped this problem in the bud and have great oral hygiene practices in place.  Most people your age do not.  Keep it up and get your teeth cleaned twice a year and you will be on track for great dental health your entire life.

Good luck

Dr.  Scharf

David Scharf

I am a board Certified periodontist which means that I am an expert in treating gum disease (periodontal disease) and placing dental implants. I can answer questions related to treating gum disease, bleeding gums, maintaining healthy gums, and structural issues with the gums such as recession, to gummy a smile, crown lengthening etc. I am also certified in Laser Periodontal therapy which allows me to treat gum disease with a laser rather than a scalpel. I can address those questions as well.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 1990. I have treated thousands of patients for both gum disease and dental implants. I currently an a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry at the nations largest dental school.

Journal of the American Dental Association, Journal of Periodontology, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Implants

BA/DMD Boston University Cum Laud. Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Periodontics fro New York University. Board Certification in Periodontics 1995

e was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the "Phi Beta Kappa" for dentists), and received the Boston University award for Excellence in Periodontology, the Boston University Predoctoral Prosthetic Award for Excellence in Prosthetics, and the Academy of General Dentistry Outstanding Senior Student Award, the Boston University Operative Dentistry Special Achievement Award, and the Quintessence Publishing Company Outstanding Senior Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Following dental school, Dr. Scharf completed a year long General Practice Residency at The Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. As a resident at this top New York program, he gained extensive clinical experience in such fields as prothodontics, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, oral surgery, management of the medically compromised patient, and general dentistry. This experience was completed by clinical rotations in the departments of general medicine, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.