Hello , I emailed you about the x-rays. I did go to another dentist and he said that my bone levels are healthy and he also did a perdiontal exam on me. all my top numbers were 1s and 2s. however he said that I had some inflammation and bleeding on my lower inner molars and could feel so tarter and calcus buildup. I believe it was about 5 4m pockets. he recommended that I do a regular standard cleaning and not a deep cleaning and the rest of my lower teeth's were 1s and 2s and a couple of 3s. He said the areas that I have my 4m pockets are pretty common since most people don't brush in that area. He also said other then that my gums are great. He mention that most people only have 2s and 3s pockets so the fact that I have about 75 percent of my mouth with 1s and 2s is a great! do you feel that a regular cleaning for a pocket of 4m is pretty standard? I am 21 and don't smoke and floss and brush 2x a day with a sonicare toothbrush. I don't have any medical conditions as well.

It really depends on a number of factors.  I would trust the judgment of the dentist that examined you rather than the opinion of a third party such as myself who has not performed an examination.  Follow their recommendations and see if the issue resolves.

Good luck.

David Scharf

I am a board Certified periodontist which means that I am an expert in treating gum disease (periodontal disease) and placing dental implants. I can answer questions related to treating gum disease, bleeding gums, maintaining healthy gums, and structural issues with the gums such as recession, to gummy a smile, crown lengthening etc. I am also certified in Laser Periodontal therapy which allows me to treat gum disease with a laser rather than a scalpel. I can address those questions as well.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 1990. I have treated thousands of patients for both gum disease and dental implants. I currently an a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry at the nations largest dental school.

Journal of the American Dental Association, Journal of Periodontology, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Implants

BA/DMD Boston University Cum Laud. Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Periodontics fro New York University. Board Certification in Periodontics 1995

e was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the "Phi Beta Kappa" for dentists), and received the Boston University award for Excellence in Periodontology, the Boston University Predoctoral Prosthetic Award for Excellence in Prosthetics, and the Academy of General Dentistry Outstanding Senior Student Award, the Boston University Operative Dentistry Special Achievement Award, and the Quintessence Publishing Company Outstanding Senior Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Following dental school, Dr. Scharf completed a year long General Practice Residency at The Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. As a resident at this top New York program, he gained extensive clinical experience in such fields as prothodontics, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, oral surgery, management of the medically compromised patient, and general dentistry. This experience was completed by clinical rotations in the departments of general medicine, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.