Periodontics/Treatment

Question
I have a follow-up question. My dentist told me that I had severe gingivitis and that she was going to do a full debridement on me and then that was it. However there was evaluation of my gums before the debridment and I have finish the treatment. however she didn't ask me to come back to access my gums after treatment. While reading up it seems like the debridement happens when the gums cannot be access so a examination cannot be access until the debridement is done. Is this something that I should be concerned with. It seems like she did the exact opposite.

Answer
Erica,
Your definition of full mouth debridement is correct.  The dentist should do a re-evaluation of your gums after performing indicated perio therapy for you to assess the condition if your gums post treatment.  Hence, my suggestion to you is to get a second opinion fron a periodontist if you are unsure of the clinical result with your current dentist.

Best,
Dr.Kong

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com