- could oral diseases such candida effect implant
when yes
could you regardly tell me those diseases
thank you
- how could the diseased bone look practicaly when expose the bone

Candida albicans has been found on infected dental implant surfaces but peri-implant infections are practically always caused by a mixture of micro-organisms, bacteria and sometimes also yeasts.

Oral health depends on a huge number of local and systemic factors. The most important reason for oral diseases and problems with dental implants is poor oral hygiene. There are also several diseases and conditions that increase the risk of oral disease. These include diabetes, HIV, and other diseases that interfere with the body's inflammatory system. Smoking is also a major risk factor for oral and peri-implant problems.

Around implants and teeth, the infection remains in the soft tissue and destroys the bone indirectly. The bone thus looks just as bone normally looks. Osteomyelitis, the infection of the bone itself, is a different and much more serious condition. In osteomyelitis the bone dies and does not look like bone anymore.

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD

I am a periodontist living and working in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, where I have my private dental practice. I am an international member of the American Academy of Periodontology. I have a Ph.D degree and a long background in research and teaching at the University of Helsinki and at the University of Turku, Finland. I function as an adjunct Professor at these Universities. I have also worked as a visiting scientist at the Scripps Clinic and research Foundation, la Jolla, CA. I can answer any question in the fields of dentistry and periodontics.

Private practitioner in Helsinki, Finland over 20 years. Former researcher and teacher at two Finnish Universities.

The Finnish Society of Dentists, Division of Periodontology, American academy of Periodontology

Over 30 scientific research articles published in peer-reviewed international scientific journals (can be found on PubMed)

D.D.S., Ph.D, Specialist in Periodontology. Adjunct Professor.

Visiting Scientist at the Scripps Research Foundation, San Diego, California, 1992-1994. NIH grant

Dental patients, national and international. All kinds of dental, oral and temporomandibular joint problems