Periodontics/nerve injury

Question
Implants were placed in lower left first and second molar region.
next day after implant placement numbness of lip was there.
then it subsided and at one moment pain was there. From third day pain and numbness has completely gone but mild burning sensation of lip is still present. It has been 10 days since implant placement. Is this a permanent nerve damage or temporary? When will the symptoms subside and what medications should be taken
thank you

Answer
Dear Cameron,

Nerve trauma is an unfortunate risk in Implant Surgery.  That said, it is a good sign that the numbness is completely gone after only the 3rd day.  As long as you see a gradual improvement in the sensation, it should just be temporary.  However, it can take up to 1 year for the sensation to get back to normal.  You should keep seeing your periodontist or oral surgeon on a regular basis so s/he can monitor your progress until the sensation gets back to normal.

-Dr.Kong

Periodontics

John Kong, DDS, www.implantnyc.com