Periodontics/Pressure sensation after bone graft

Hello, I am a 42 year old male in good health. 11 days ago I had my front tooth (#9 I think) extracted and a bone graft completed. (I cracked the root  during by a biking accident.) I had my check-up two days ago at which time my periodontist removed the stitches and after a brief examination indicated all looked well. I have no pain, but do have a sensation of pressure that started (or at least I started noticing it) yesterday. The pressure in only there when I smile or when my upper lip presses down on the gum when I am talking. There also seems to be a bit of pressure in my sinus cavity on the side where the tooth was extracted, but again no true pain. Is this pressure sensation common to the healing process or should I be more concerned? One thought I have is that maybe the flipper tooth I am currently wearing is causing this by pressing on the socket where the bone graft is currently placed? My doctor did check its fit and thought it looked "great." As an FYI, I follow up with my periodontist in 10 days. Thank you in advance for any insights you may be able to share! Matt

Hi Matt

You question is a good one but I cannot answer it without examining you.  I would recommend you discuss these concerns with your periodontist.  They can evaluate the symptoms and decide if they are a concern or just normal healing.  Each is a possibility.  It is probably normal healing but clinical examination is warranted to answer your questions accurately.

Good luck

D. Scharf

David Scharf

I am a board Certified periodontist which means that I am an expert in treating gum disease (periodontal disease) and placing dental implants. I can answer questions related to treating gum disease, bleeding gums, maintaining healthy gums, and structural issues with the gums such as recession, to gummy a smile, crown lengthening etc. I am also certified in Laser Periodontal therapy which allows me to treat gum disease with a laser rather than a scalpel. I can address those questions as well.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 1990. I have treated thousands of patients for both gum disease and dental implants. I currently an a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry at the nations largest dental school.

Journal of the American Dental Association, Journal of Periodontology, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxilofacial Implants

BA/DMD Boston University Cum Laud. Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Periodontics fro New York University. Board Certification in Periodontics 1995

e was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the "Phi Beta Kappa" for dentists), and received the Boston University award for Excellence in Periodontology, the Boston University Predoctoral Prosthetic Award for Excellence in Prosthetics, and the Academy of General Dentistry Outstanding Senior Student Award, the Boston University Operative Dentistry Special Achievement Award, and the Quintessence Publishing Company Outstanding Senior Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Following dental school, Dr. Scharf completed a year long General Practice Residency at The Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. As a resident at this top New York program, he gained extensive clinical experience in such fields as prothodontics, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, oral surgery, management of the medically compromised patient, and general dentistry. This experience was completed by clinical rotations in the departments of general medicine, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.