Periodontics/8mm gum pockets!!

My dentist has previously told me I'd need to go to the hygienist for an assessment and that I'd have to get a cleaning every three months after as I have gingivitis. I went to the hygienist today who assessed my gums before carrying out a scale and polish and some areas are definitely a lot worse than gingivitis. Two areas of my mouth have a BPE of 4 and they both have one 8mm pocket! Will it they improve with a meticulous oral hygiene regime? Most of the other areas had a BPE of 2 apart one maybe one other section which was a 3. I'm prepared to stop smoking and carry out a meticulous oral hygiene routine, but I'm worried that my gums are already too damaged so any improvement. I'm only 22 so I really am concerned about this.

One of the 8mm pockets is between my last molar and impacted wisdom tooth and he said that upon probing pus is essentially oozing out so he spent a lot of time in this area. He cleaned it out using a larger instrument and then injected (it wasn't a needle but looked like a liquid dispenser) something into the pocket which was pretty painful. Considering how deep the pockets are, I thought I would need more treatment than this considering how deep it is/it is slightly infected?

I've been instructed on how to improve my hygiene and I'll go back for a cleaning in 3 months, but what treatment will I be expecting in the future when I have my check up with the dentist?

Hi Anne,

With a 8mm pocket, you should really see a periodontist for further evaluation.  Your smoking is definitely a factor in your gum disease and the fact that your pocket is progressively getting deeper is not a good sign.  3 month cleanings are for AFTER your gum condition has been stabilized (from what you tell me, it does not seem stabilized).  Your gum condition should improve with proper periodontal treatment.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award