Periodontics/tissue regeneration

If for some reason a crown cannot be placed immediately on an implant, will the tissue that was removed from around the head of the implant while preparing it for the crown grow back to protect the implant?

This may sound like a strange question, but I am suddenly in a dangerous situation. I go to a dental clinic, and the dentist who put in the implant, and with whom I had a good understanding, has been replaced by another with whom I have a very bad relationship. Basically, the new dentist does not understand that the crown must not touch the opposing molar because I am a heavy bruxer (grinder) and have already lost one implant in the same position after two years of painful infection in my jaw.

Only after the new dentist took impressions and had the crown made did I find out that she intends to include it in my occlusion, just as if I didn't grind my teeth, which will end up causing the same awful result as previously. So I want to suspend the procedure, and I am worried about the safety of the implant, which has already been prepared for the crown.

I hope you can help me. Just to know that the gum will grow back around the head of the implant will relieve me of a lot of anxiety.

Thank you.

I'm not sure if I completely understand your first question, but if a crown on your dental implant cannot be immediately placed, the healing cap should keep the soft tissue at bay. If a coverscrew is placed over the implant, the tissue would grow over the the implant.

Regarding dental implants and bruxing.  You should have a nightguard made after your implant crowns are placed to protect your implant crown from your bruxing.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award