Periodontics/Gum Height At Front Uneven

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

The top two front teeth are uneven at the gumline by about 1mm. However, I do not want to lengthen my teeth. Is there a way to graft gum onto the longer tooth to make them even? Although it is by a small margin

ANSWER: There are several techniques for achieving an even gum line for your front teeth. Your periodontist will make the choice of technique based on your personal situation and your preferences.

Grafting is a valid option for treating an uneven gum line. However, it requires skill and experience for the surgeon. If grafting is chosen, then success depends on many things. The position of the tooth in relation to the dental arch and to the tooth-supporting bone determines the overall height of the gum line. If the tooth is located so that bone and neighboring teeth do not protect and support it, then a grafted tissue may later be lost. Also, meticulous oral hygiene both before and after the procedure is important for the long-term stability of the grafted tissue.

Lifting the too low gum line, i.e. lengthening the shorter tooth is a much smaller and easier procedure and the long term result is more reliable.

Therefore I suggest that you discuss the different treatment options with your periodontist so as to find the best and most suitable treatment method for you.

QUESTION: Thank you for the informative answer.  I personally feel like the longer tooth is too long already, and the shorter one looks better and more harmonious with my smile.

I do have a follow-up question - Do gums ever grow back after tooth lengthening?

Answer
Yes, the gum may grow back after tooth lengthening. It depends on whether and how much bone has been removed, how thick the gum tissue is, how the tooth and its neighbors are located in the dental arch and how the the gum line goes on the neighboring teeth

Periodontics

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD