Periodontics/Enamel Erosion on both sides of teeth

Hello Doctor, I am experiencing erosion of my enamel. I have sensitivity throughout the day and have already been examined by a dentist. He recommended I try enamel protecting toothpaste before we take more drastic measures like bonding with the composite resin. I still feel pain/sensitivity so will probably be going back to ask for the resin composite bonding. The only thing is he had mentioned that the back side of the teeth cannot be bonded with this resin because he has no way to put it back there. However I do remember having fillings in the backside of my teeth. Why is it that he cannot put resin back there? I ask because I feel sensitivity in the backside as well as the front and the dentin is also very much exposed in the back side of my teeth. What can be done about the backside if he only puts the resin on the front side of my teeth? Will the back side still be sensitive even after he bonds the front side? Thanks for your advice Doctor I am very confused about all of this.

Dear Arnold,
Erosion of the teeth is not normal.  What is more important than restoring the teeth is finding out why your teeth are eroding.  There can be many reasons for this; diet, acid reflux, developmental issues with your enamel, environmental factors.  It is very important that the cause be indentified and steps be taken to prevent further erosion.  Restoring the teeth can be very challenging.  I would recommend you see another dentist for a second opinion.  Obviously, without seeing your teeth or knowing their exact condition it is hard for me to give you a good answer.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.