Periodontics/Enamel loss on both sides of teeth

Hello Doctor, I am experiencing erosion of my enamel. I have sensitivity throughout the day and have already been examined by a dentist. He recommended I try enamel protecting toothpaste before we take more drastic measures like bonding with the composite resin. I still feel pain/sensitivity so will probably be going back to ask for the resin composite bonding. The only thing is he had mentioned that the back side of the teeth cannot be bonded with this resin because he has no way to put it back there. However I do remember having fillings in the backside of my teeth. Why is it that he cannot put resin back there? I ask because I feel sensitivity in the backside as well as the front and the dentin is also very much exposed in the back side of my teeth. What can be done about the backside if he only puts the resin on the front side of my teeth? Will the back side still be sensitive even after he bonds the front side? Thanks for your advice Doctor I am very confused about all of this.

A filling is filling a hole in the tooth caused by decay.
With erosion the is no whole. There has to be space for the filling material. If there is no room then it would feel like a "high filling".

I would look more into the possible causes of the recession, including systemic causes.

Best of luck.

Dr. Ed

Edward H. Segal, DDS, FICD

I am a board certified Periodontist available to answer questions about periodontal disease and its treatment, gum recession, and treatment options. The use of laser treatment for gum disease. The use of implants to replace lost teeth, rapid orthodontics, also called PAOO or Wilckodontics(tm).

Board certified and licensed Periodontist practicing for over 14 years. Previous clinical professor at University of Illinois.

American Academy of Periodontology, Midwest Society of Periodontology, Illinois Society of Periodontists, American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Society, Chicago Dental Society, American Academy of Oral Medicine, Fellow of the International College of Dentists, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology

DDS - SUNY Buffalo 1986 - 1990 General Practice Residency - Michael Reese Hospital 1990-1991 Residency in Periodontics and Implants - Univ. of Maryland 1992-1994

Past President of Illinois Society of Periodontists. Past Trustee of Illinois State Dental Society. Vice-Speaker of Illinois State Dental Society. Past President NW Suburban Branch of Chicago Dental Society.