You are here:

Periodontics/Gum recession after implant


After my implant was placed for tooth 8,shortly after my gum recessed above it completely.  The periodontist did not address the loss of bone height, before placing the implant.  If I remove the implant, can a block bone graft be done to fill in the vertical defect?  I know soft tissue grafting would be needed also. Can block bone grafting be successful for this problem ?  I originally had all my natural gum tissue before the implant surgery.  I am sad.

Alexis, grafting can be done to correct the loss of bone and gum tissue.  The type of graft used and the result that will be achieved really depend on the specific details of your case.  If you had radiographs of photographs to share I could probably give you more information.  It is also possible to correct that problem in some cases without actually removing the implant.

Good Luck
Dr. Siegelman


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS


I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.


I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.

©2017 All rights reserved.