Persian Language/

Question
Dear Saeed,

I'm watching a Persian film about Mary Magdalene (مریم مجدلیه), and there is a sentence I'm having trouble transcribing and understanding. Please bear with me while I explain the context.

According to the film (and indeed Christianity in general), the reason why God told Ebrāhim to sacrifice his son and then, at the last moment, told him to stay his hand and spare the boy and instead of that provided a ram for Ebrāhim to sacrifice was as follows: yes, indeed the test of faith was important, but also it foreshadowed the death of Jesus on the cross.

In other words, the Bible teaches that the penalty for sin is death, not only in this world but also a permanent spiritual death in the next. However, since all of us have sinned and no one can claim to be anything like perfect we must be kind and merciful with one another and there is no place in Christianity for cruel punishments such as stoning and cutting peopleís limbs off, particularly as God loves us so much that He sent Jesus to die for us all.

For, just as the ram died in place of Ebrāhimís son, a sinner like every other human being in the world, Jesus Christ died on the Cross in place of all sinners.

So, the sacrifice of the ram in the place of Ebrāhimís son foreshadowed Godís plan. The Persian then continues:

این طرح میرو تا لعنت گناه و مرگ را بزداید و رابطهی صمیمی انسان را با خدا باز برقرار سازد

Is this sentence correct, please? What could this word میرو (mirav) be? I think it must be a mistake but I can't work out what it should be.

Best

Simon

PS The film uses the name Ebrāhim, but the Eng. equivalent is Abraham.

Answer
dear Simon,
It is simple and I am going to help you.
I know about Abraham and the equivalents of his name.
Ok. it is classical Persian and is not used in modern films. Only for historical ones.

طرح = way
برو = میرو = go, follow
این راه را برو، این راه را دنبال کن، از این راه برو= این طرح میرو = follow this way, go this way, do this, do following...

تا لعنتِ گناه و مرگ را بزداید = until it erases the doom of sin and death
بزداید = blots out, erases, cleans, eliminates, erodes

و رابطه ی (رابطهِ) صمیمی انسان را با خدا باز برقرار سازَد=
and reestablishes the intimate relation of human and god

دوباره بَرقرار کُند = باز برقرار سازد

Best
Saeed

Persian Language

Saeed