Persian Language/

Dear Saeed,

I've been asking about this in various places but have only been able to get so far and no further.

Is it, for example, based on an expression “خود را به جایی چپ زدن” meaning “to dodge into a place”? But why the name علي?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Hi Simon,
I did a bit of search but didn't find anything.
At least I can help you understand it better.
When we say خودت را به گوچه علی چپ نزن we mean: Come on! don't pretend that you don't know anything.
I have seen these as خودت را به کوچه حسن چپ نزن in some parts of Iran (in Kerman, South East of Iran.
If you say to an Iranian: خودت را به کوچه سایمون چپ نزن He/She would immediately understand what do you mean even by adding Simon.It seems as far there is no special reason to choose name علی here but maybe there is and I don't know. There are many expressions in Farsi that include name علی.
چپ here means left, wrong, not right

Have a good time.

Persian Language

I can answer to questions about Persian (Farsi) as second language as well as history of persian art and culture.

I am an English - Persian translator with more than 8 years of experience and about 30 translated books including around 8000 pages. I have been interested in History of world art (painting and architecture), history, mythology, etc. As a poet I also have considerable experience in Persian poetry.

B.A. of political sciences. M.A. of political sciences.