Persian Language/ (as calendrical term)

QUESTION: Greetings Saeed

Greetings from İzmir and all the best for the approaching New Year!

I'd like to ask about the correct use of the calendrical term فروردین. To be more precise, please could you tell me when فروردین actually begins?

I.e. is it as soon as the new moon on 29th/30th of Esfand is sighted, or not until midnight on that day?

In other words, do you have a hiatus between the coming of the New Year and celebrating it officially?

Every blessing,

ANSWER: Hi Simon,
How are you?

Farvardin 1st begins right after the midnight of the last Esfand day, and Nowrouz is in the Farvardin 1st. In this sense, we celebrate the new year in a certain moment calculated and stated previously, and it is inside the 1st of Farvardin, e.g. this new year begins at 2:15 a.m.
Is it help?

QUESTION: Hi again Saeed,

Yes, very helpful, thank you I think I understand now. Please may I check something to make sure I understand?

This coming New Year, the first two and a quarter hours of the first day of Farvardin will be before the New Year, won't they?

Every blessing,

Hi Simon,
thanks for your kindness.
Well, I think the new calendrical year begins at 00:00 and all the nest 24 hours is considered as the new year. The moment of "turn of the year" is at a certain time, i.e. 2:15 a.m. I should admit that l am not knowledgeable enough of such issues.

Persian Language

I can answer to questions about Persian (Farsi) as second language as well as history of persian art and culture.

I am an English - Persian translator with more than 8 years of experience and about 30 translated books including around 8000 pages. I have been interested in History of world art (painting and architecture), history, mythology, etc. As a poet I also have considerable experience in Persian poetry.

B.A. of political sciences. M.A. of political sciences.