Personal Development/Job/Career Guidance

I am 63 1/2 years old and fear my opportunities to do the kind of work that suits me due to talents and skills have passed me by and it is too late.  I do not have a college degree, but have 91 credits.

I never did well with "What Color is Your Parachute" and others because I do not see abilities, inborn talents or accomplishments of mine, believing non exist.  I tried to see a gerontologist but he was an academic and not a counselor.

Would you have a "next step" I could take.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Martin,

Yes, I have a next step, and it is based on what you said and how you said it. There is a big difference between saying; "I don't see a solution", and "There is no solution".  The difference is in the 'not seeing', and not seeing does not mean that there is nothing to see.

You said that you don't see abilities, talents, accomplishments, etc.  Okay, I'll go with that, that you don't see them, but I'll bet others do.  You have a 'reason' not to see them and that has to do with factors in your life that you may not even be aware of.

I suggest that you ask your friends and loved ones these very same questions. What are my talents? What are my abilities? Go through the list; but, Martin, be prepared to listen to them.  I can assure you that the same thinking that stops you from seeing your own qualities will be the ones that will want to stop you from hearing what other people say. Bite the bullet and look into what they see in you.

You said something else that I want to nip in the bud right now.  The notion that it is too late.  There is only about 4 years between you and I in age, and I'm only getting started discovering new talents every day!  The difference between you and I Martin, is that I won't let myself buy into the cliche about age making a difference.  I suggest you throw out that one too.  Look, you've managed 91 college credits.  That's not a small deal.  It shows capacity, reasoning, ability to achieve, and mental strengths.  You may not have finished college, but it doesn't mean you couldn't have.

Before looking for a job, Martin, risk looking at the good stuff that you are.  Risk listening to others who itemize your abilities and capacities.  When I wrote my first book; Through the Door! :A Journey to the Self, which is about how our self-images blind us to our real capacities, I did so without a psychology degree.  I had plenty of other talents of observation, and a quizzical mind that allowed me to use these talents in a domain that was not mine.

So you too, Martin, need to take a wider view of what you can do and see how you can use it in ways you had not thought of before.

I don't know if you are comfortable with speaking in front of others, but if you are not, I would encourage you to visit a Toastmasters Club near you and do what it takes to be able to express what is within you to others.  You may know Toastmasters as a public speaking club, but it is much more than that, and I have found that others in your exact situation benefited tremendously by learning how to express themselves.  You see, Martin, when you can express outside of yourself, you also start hearing yourself, and I think that this is one thing that would benefit you tremendously.

I hope that this has been helpful. Sometimes when we need to move forward, a detour to the right for a while can actually get us where we need to go faster. The path I suggest isn't a straight one, but it just may be the surest one out there.

Good luck Martin.  Please rate this reply honestly.

Phil L. Methot

Personal Development

Phil L. Méthot

Can answer questions relating to self image, motivation, fear of success, fear of failure, guilt, shame, debilitating feelings, self expression, weight gain, weight loss, goals, and public speaking, and communication. Will not discuss clinical aspects of depression, or medical associations to depression.

Motivational Management consultant since 1985, Author of the books; "Through the Door!": A Journey to the Self, (a look at the battle between our negative self-images and our personal power. Author of; "The Weight is Over" a book on weight loss and the role of The Self Image Paradox. Author of 10 Steps to Becoming a Great Public Speaker. Co-hosted a radio Talk Show for two years on Personal Development.

Toastmasters International Club President

My works are published on the sites: and in my book "Through the Door!" :A Journey to the Self. Articles may also be seen at

University of Toronto Trained with The Canadian Training and Motivation Group Inc.

Presidents Club award for excellence in Motivational Management Training. Honor roll member of Success Motivation International. Advanced Toastmaster Gold/Competent Leader

Air Canada, Ritz Carlton Hotel Montreal, Air Transat, Festival Cruises, Panoff Publishing,