Personal Empowerment/Relationship and Self-Image Disconnect

Question
Hi Olga, thanks for reading my question today.  I'm 33, my boyfriend is 32.  We have been together for three years and live together.

My problem is I feel like there's a major disconnect.  I feel like I finally have a great career and know what I want in life.  I am also starting to really crave alone time.  For years I have been doing everything to make everyone else happy, and have taken practically no time for myself.  There are times when I just want to be alone for a couple hours.  When I tell this to my partner, he will say things to make me come along.  For example, he will say, just come along, we won't make it too long.  

The other issue is lifestyle.  He has admitted many times that he needs to get healthier.  His health is not good.  He has had a health scare recently and has gained considerable weight.  It was all due to his previous job.  Well, he has a new job now, and couldn't say enough how this will improve his health.  He would have more time to exercise, prepare meals, etc.  It has just given him more time to engage in unhealthy activities.  Now I almost wish he stayed at his old job because at least then, he only had a couple hours to do these things.  Now, he basically has all night, which he does.  He smokes a lot more pot now.  Funny, he said that since this job wouldn't have any stress, he wouldn't need to smoke it.  It has increased.  

It upsets me because he obviously doesn't care what I think.  I told him I want to work out, but he said I don't need to because he doesn't want me to lose any more weight.  I listened.  However, I told him how much I hate his pot habit, and how I worry about him after his health scare and he should exercise.  I get a snap back - I'm not dying, and I'm not stopping the weed.  Okay, fine.  Well, I can't let my health slide either, so I'm starting to exercise.  

I'm slowly becoming less attracted to him, and it's scary.  He doesn't give a crap what I think, but expects me to do what he wants.  Sex is pretty much non-existent, because he keeps trying to do things in the bedroom that I tell him I do not like to do.  

I don't know what I should do here.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sara

Answer
Hi Sara. The key issue here is giving yourself permission to feel and do what's best and healthy for you.

Your early programming left you with some shaky aspects to your sense of self, and without a strong sense of entitlement to exist and be fully you - thus the need to get his approval, among other things.

The only way to figure this out is to start focusing on you. Forget about him and his bad habits - for now. What's happening in your relationship is triggering the issues in you that are asking to be addressed: healthy boundaries; saying NO to whatever doesn't work for you; proactively doing what DOES work for you (such as taking time out); and generally putting your needs first, in healthy, practical, everyday ways. The key things to remember here are that it's about having healthy self-responsibility and what YOU think of you; it's about standing by your word (and your needs) when you say you need time out. Take it. You don't need his permission or approval.

He has the same issue (self-responsibility) and we always attract partners with the same 'missing pieces' as us. Unfortunately, we usually get distracted and distressed by focusing on them and their stuff, without realizing that we've attracted them in the first place because we have the same stuff going on inside. Fix that, and you'll attract what you want. DON'T try to fix him or even tell him what to do. Make your own healthy choices. So if he smokes around you and you don't like it, say so and leave. You don't have to tolerate/endure any of this. This is the homework. Only when you have done it and got to a place where you feel more comfortable making healthy choices for you, and living life on your healthy terms, will you know if you want to stay - and only then will you be ABLE to walk away, if that's what's best.

The 'homework' will keep you stuck in the relationship until it's done. When you've done it, you'll either get an 'upgrade' within this relationship, with your partner shifting because you have, or you'll get an upgrade once you've said NO to the relationship (if it ultimately isn't working for you).

You can find lots more helpful info on my website and my blog, plus in my first book, Fit for Love, which is all about filling in your missing  pieces, creating healthy boundaries, making sense of your relationship dynamics, and making you whole, happy and magnetic.  

FYI, I'll be offering a 7-week Fit for Love webinar in a few months' time, just in case that's of interest.

Good luck!
Olga
www.olgasheean.com / olga@olgasheean.com  

Personal Empowerment

Olga Sheean