Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Slip and Fall


Hello! On 12/24/2012 ( lastnight christmas eve ) my husband, family and friends were checking into a hotel owned by a casino in Gary, Indiana. As I walked out of the building I slipped on some ice and fell face first. My ankle immediately started hurting. I went back in to tell my husband what happened and he immediately notified front desk. They had me to fill out a report and offered to take me to the hospital I declined saying that I would like to see my own physician. Now today on christmas day my left leg hurts, my thigh is swollen, my ankle and knee really hurts. I will be going to see my physician tomorrow am. What I wanted to know is do I have a case for a lawsuit or settlement? It was on their property. There were no caution signs of their being ice or water
on the premises. We did take pictures and I also have several witnesses. The next morning they still had not put up any caution signs.


I am sorry to hear about your fall and injury and hope you can make a full and fast recovery.

The highest priority should be to take care of your health. Make sure you see the doctor today as you planned so you can have a clear understanding of your injury and the best treatment to ensure a full recovery. Taking care of your health is also the best action you can take to protect your rights for a potential claim against the casino.

From your description, you may have the basis to pursue a claim against the casino for negligence. You would need to prove that the casino was negligent in not removing the ice from the building exit and not providing any warning of the icy condition to patrons. You would also need to demonstrate that your injury resulted from this fall, which seems clear from your description. You have taken the right first step by notifying the casino about the incident. I recommend that you seek the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in Indiana who has experience with slip and fall cases. If you have trouble finding a qualified attorney, you may want to consult the Indiana Bar Association.

Since you notified the casino about the incident, you should expect to hear from a representative of their insurance company or claims management company. Assuming that you find an attorney, I would refer them to your attorney.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carol L. Schlitt


I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.


I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

Awards and Honors
• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

Past/Present Clients
I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.

©2017 All rights reserved.