Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Fall in Starbucks located inside Marriott in South beach Miami

Dear Mr. Maus,

I had an incident about a month ago at the Starbucks located inside the Marriott hotel in South Beach Miami. I live in southern CA.

The incident was simple. I was walking to my coffee table with coffee in one hand and my laptop in my other hand as I slipped and fell. The floor was wet and also there was sand on the floor making it extremely slippery. My laptop as the result of the fall broke and I had some pain in my elbow and my ankle but mainly I was worried about my laptop. I had the manager fill out an incident report which states that my laptop was damaged due to the fall.
I was contacted by the person in charge at Marriott the day after asking me what happened and I explained exactly what I wrote here. She also asked me to send her the laptop receipt and the repair estimate so she could compensate me. I did so when I returned back home. My laptop was a custom made machine with Solid State Hard drive which are expensive. I sent her the receipt which is around 5500 and the repair estimate including the case, the hard drive, and the data recovery totaling around 4000. However, after sending these documents, she contacted me via email stating that the damage is too much and she may not be able to compensate.
I also lost some of my research data on the hard drive as I am a researcher in the health industry.

I am not sure how to proceed with this matter at this point? Do I need legal representation? Should I also proceed with bodily injury if I cant get compensated for my equipment?

I appreciate your help.

Ariyan, If your damages are limited to the computer, your best bet is to file a small claims court action against Starbucks.  You can most likely appear via telephone for the whole proceeding.  The claim would need to be filed in Miami Dade County Court.  If you go online to the Miami Dade Clerk of Court website, you can obtain more information about small claims court.

You may also have the right to make a claim for injuries sustained.  You would need to prove that a dangerous condition existed at Starbucks, AND, that Starbucks knew or should have known about the dangerous condition, and failed to warn you about it.  You would also need to prove that you sustained injuries in the fall.  If you injuries were temporary and have gone away at this point, I would advise that it is not worth your while to pursue a claim.  However, if your injuries are more serious and require ongoing medical care, you should probably look into filing a claim.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thank you for contacting me.

Joseph M. Maus
The Maus Law Firm
Pompano Beach, FL
(954) 784-6310

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Joseph Maus

I am a Florida attorney representing persons injured due to the negligence of others, and insurance disputes. I handle claims involving injuries from car accidents, boating accidents, cruise ship accidents, slip and falls, and wrongful death claims. I also handle homeowner property damage claims and Florida workers compensation claims.

22 years of litigating accident claims, representing 1000's of victims, and recovering millions of dollars for my client's injuries and claims. I am "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest skill and ethics rating awarded. I have been recognized by Florida Trend Magazine as Florida's "Legal Elite" and by Super Lawyers since 2011, awards given to less than 5% of attorneys in Florida. I have successfully litigated claims throughout Florida, the United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT MY QUALIFICATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.MAUSLAWFIRM.COM

Florida Bar Association; Florida Justice Association; Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers; Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute; Admitted to practice in all Florida State, Federal, and Appellate Courts; Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court

Undergraduate Degree from The Florida State University Law Degree from Nova Southeastern University See more information at www.mauslawfirm

Former Mayor, City of Oakland Park, Florida Former City Commissioner, City of Oakland Park, Florida President, Hundred Club of Fort Lauderdale Member, Broward County Planning Council Member, Broward County Charter Review Commission