Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/slip and fall at Walmart

My 71 y/o mother was trying to get depends off top shelf, fell and broke her hip,the store blames the corporate. Do I have a case?

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she receive the medical care that she needs and is able to make a full and fast recovery.

Your mother may have a claim against the store. To prevail, she would need to prove that she fell because of their negligence. If the design or maintenance of the store caused her to all, the store would bear some or all liability for her fall and injuries. You describe that she fell reaching for a package on the top shelf. To win a claim, you would need to show that the placement of that item on the top shelf was negligent and the store should have expected that it would lead to a fall.

I would recommend a few steps:

Make sure your mother receives the medical care she needs If you have not done so, make sure she filed an incident report with the store. Speak to a local personal injury attorney what can help assess your case If the attorney does not think you have a case, contact the Wal-Mart to see if they will pay for the medical expenses your mother incurred

I hope this helps.

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.