You are here:

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Injury in my room at the Conrad



I suffered a painful injury in my room at the Conrad in Battery City Park last night and need legal advice.  It started when I was at the mini bar washing my hands.  I asked my girlfriend if I could get her anything, and she asked for a soda, so I turned slightly to open the fridge that was down and to the left of the sink I was washing my hands at.

My knee gently bumped the wooden cabinet that hides the pipes below the sink, and a panel fell off and crushed my little toe on my right foot.  Blood was everywhere, it was painful, and it appears like I lost my nail.  

I inspected the panel, and it looks like it has a rigged up securing mechanism that consists of a small open hook on the back of a panel, and a dangling hook on the inside of the cabinet.  I assume this wasn't secure the last time they accessed the pipes or something.  

Anyway, this is my first time to NYC.  I work 70-80 hours per week, and I am constantly rushing about on my feet.  I needed this vacation so bad, and now, I have to return to work in a couple days and be on my feet nonstop with this injury.  My girlfriend called the front desk, and the lady said she would send security up.  They never showed up, so eventually I stumbled down to the front desk to get help.  The guy there told me they said nobody was in the room.  Well, it turns out the front desk gave them the wrong room number, and they didnt bother validating this situation I suppose.

The guy at the front desk asked if I wanted him to call an ambulance.  I don't know if I should have or not, but I had already taken my meds for the night and was upset from being hurt, and by this time it was 1am.  Even if I had broken my toe, which I think I did, the doctor would do nothing but secure it to the neighborin toe and tell me to keep it iced and elevated, so I skipped the doctor and did that all myself.

The security guy told me I would receive a phone call from the manager the next day, but of course, I didn't.  So, instead of being able to use these 2 days to rejuvenate myself...walk around time square, see the city...I have to keep myself close to the hotel and sit/lie down frequently.  Not even that, but since I'm limited in how far I can get myself, my food is largely limited to the overpriced food from this hotel.  I did just shell out $6.33 for an 8.5 ounce bottle of coke.  

They all seemed more concerned than anything about when I was going to be checking out.  I was made no offer on what they would do to take care of me.  I imagine I am going to be much less productive at work, and be in a lot of pain when I am working...maybe even having to miss some days.  

What can I do?

Thank you

I will attach a picture of my injury


I am sorry to hear about your injury. It is unfortunate that the hotel did not respond in a more professional and sympathetic way to your predicament. I hope you are feeling better and that you are able to make a full and fast recovery.

You have already taken one of the first key steps by contacting the hotel management. The most important issue now is to take care of your health. See a doctor for a diagnosis of your injury and to determine what you have to do to recovery.

You may have the basis for a claim against the hotel and how you pursue that claim will depend on the seriousness of your injury. To pursue a claim, you would need to demonstrate the negligence of the hotel and that you suffered injuries because of their negligence. From your description, you may have a claim against the hotel for negligence in the design and maintenance of the cabinet door that fell and injured you. It would be helpful to have photographs of that door and the cabinet. You would need to show that the door fell and injured you because of the design and maintenance and not because of anything you did to the door.

After a doctor determines the nature of your injury, you would need to determine the seriousness of your damages. If the damages are minimal, then you may want to pursue this claim on your own. If the injury is more seriousness (for example, if you broke a bone and needed time off from work and physical therapy), then you may want the assistance of an attorney.

I suggest that after you see a doctor and learn the nature of the injury and the recommended course of action, that you call a New York attorney familiar with these types of cases to determine the best course of action. If you need help finding an attorney, you may want to consult the New York county bar association

I hope this helps.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carol L. Schlitt


I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.


I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

Awards and Honors
• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

Past/Present Clients
I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]