Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/slip and fall

Question
I fell yesterday in a major chain store --as I lay on the floor in pain I looked around to see what it was that I slipped on--it was a small puddle of colored liquid soap and there were no bottles of soap on the floor or open bottles around in the aisle.  As I lie there on the floor a few store workers heard me asking for help and took pictures of me on the floor--my leg was so painful and I did not think I could get up--they got me a cart to raise myself up and a wheel chair to sit in.  Anyway--the doctor said it would take 6 to 8 weeks for my hamstring muscle to heel ..I can't bend down to pick anything up or sit  on certain seats like the toilet without lots of pain even taking ibuprofen 800 mg 3 x a day.  I have not given any statement and wanted an attorney to handle this in the Arizona area as I do not trust insurance companies--and I have read that this particular store doesn't take responsibility for their negligence--I take care of a very elderly parent who now I will be kind of useless to for awhile---I am kind of depressed about this whole thing--Arizona is a bad State since an organization called A L E C was born here and is very active and it seems almost makes attorneys taking muscle injury cases moot--I can't afford to be in pain and incapacitated for very long!!!  Help

Answer
Marie,

I am sorry to hear about your fall and injury. I hope you are able to make a full and fast recovery.

You say that this incident occurred in Arizona. I practice law in New York and am not expert on the laws of Arizona. I recommend that you contact a local personal injury attorney who has experience with slip and fall cases in stores. If you need help finding an attorney, your county bar association should be able to help you with a referral. The initial consultation should be free. Your local attorney should be able to guide you on the best way to proceed.

I can offer some general information based on the laws of New York. To prevail in a slip and fall case in New York, you need to prove that the store either caused the hazardous condition - in this case the slippery liquid on the floor – or knew about it (or should have known about it) and failed to clean it up or take action. You then need to prove that you suffered injuries from the fall and to put a value on those injuries. New York allows for comparative liability – meaning a jury can decide that both the plaintiff and the defendant share responsibility for the fall. Some states – Arizona may be one – do not allow for comparative liability, making the burden of proof much higher. You can see why I urge you to speak to a local attorney as soon as possible.

I wish you well in your recovery.

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt