Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/cut

Question
my son ran into a push cart at a dept. store . the cart was sticking out near cash register , he got a cut under his eye ,wife took him to hospital they glue his cut. can he get comp.thks.

Answer
Alberto,

I am sorry to hear about your son’s injury and hope that he is able to make a full and fast recovery. I am glad that your son is receiving the necessary medical treatment.

You may have a claim against the department store. To prevail, you would need to prove two facts: that the store’s negligence caused our son’s injuries and the value of your son’s injuries. From your description, it is possible that the store was negligent in the way they stored the shopping carts, though I would need more details to make an assessment on liability. The amount of damages will depend upon the diagnosis and treatment that your son receives.

I suggest the following:

•   If you have not already done so, notify the store of the incident so they can create an incident report
•   Ask the store if they have a med-pay policy to pay for medical expenses
•   After you speak to the store, you most likely will receive a call from an adjuster for the store. If the injuries are minimal, you may want to speak with the adjuster yourself and try to negotiate a settlement. If the injuries are more serious or if you feel uncomfortable speaking with the adjuster, you should consult with a local attorney who can help you determine if you have a case. The consultation should be free.

I hope this information helps and good luck to your son in his recovery.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt