Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/slip in supermarket

How much should I ask for if I slipped in supermarket sprained my foot and my hip and I have fibromyalgia

I am sorry to hear about the injuries you suffered in this fall and the problems they have caused you.

I cannot give you an evaluation of your case unless I had access to a full investigation into the incident and your medical records. The value of your case depends on two factors:

-The liability of the defendant: What percentage of liability will the defendant bear?
-The value of the damage: Based on an analysis of the medical records, lost wages, impact on your life and a review of similar cases, what is the value of the damages you have suffered?

As you can see, determining the value of a case is quite complicated. In my cases, I prepare a detailed analysis of liability that determines the range of liability the defendant will bear and the probability for each outcome. It is not clear from your description what percentage the defendant will bear, though surely one would fight to hold the defendant 100 percent responsible.  One would also need to determine the value of your damages and that requires analyzing both the medical records and your lost wages. It also requires a review of similar cases in that jurisdiction.

I suggest that you speak to a local attorney experienced with slip and fall cases. He or she could advise you on how best to proceed. That consultation should be free

I hope this information helps.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.