Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Tripped on stairs and hit my head

Question
It was night time and the small restaurant has almost no lighting outside its very dark as I was walking up the stairs to the business I tripped on the last step and ended up hitting my head on there glass door very hard breaking it. Now they are charging me for fixing the door. Can they do that? The only problem is I was drinking before but that is not the reason for falling

Answer
Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your fall and hope you are okay. The most important issue is taking care of your health so I hope you received the medical care that you needed.

If a party suffered damages, be it you suffering an injury from the fall or the restaurant suffering the broken door, to pursue damages, one needs to prove negligence, recklessness or an intentional act. It will be hard for a restaurant to prove that a customer was negligent or reckless in tripping and falling into a door. Even if you were intoxicated, they would have difficulty holding you responsible, especially if they served you alcohol. I do not know all the facts involved here, so I cannot offer a formal legal opinion. I can suggest that you are under no obligation to pay this bill.

If you suffered injuries, you may have a claim against the restaurant, but you would have to prove that their negligence, perhaps in the design or upkeep of he steps, caused you to tall fall. The fact that you were drinking would compromise such a claim and make it hard to prove.

I hope this information helps.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt