Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/ice/snow injury

If one falls on a driveway of a house of worship from ice while turning dark where they were negligent. And one seriously injures themselves with a severe rotator cuff tear.the injury is gonna take a long time to heal if it does and is extremely painful and stressing( for everybody). What range would such a lawsuit bring?

I am sorry to hear about your slip and fall and the injuries you suffered.

I practice law in New York so can only comment on how New York would apply.

To prevail in a slip and fall on ice case, you need to demonstrate that the property owner had adequate notice about the condition and had an opportunity to remove he snow and ice. The fact that the property owner was a house of worship does not alleviate the property owner's legal obligations. You would need to show that the ice caused you to fall. In most New York slip and fall cases, the liability is shared between the defendant and the plaintiff as the jury holds plaintiff's at least partially liable for not avoiding the fall.

You would also need to show that you suffered an injury because of the negligence in failing to remove the snow and ice. The value of the damages would depend on many factors including lost wages and many factors surrounding the injury: the severity, the length of treatment, the intensity of treatment and the impact on your life. To determine the value of such a case requires a review of the medical records, collection of other evidence and a knowledge of case law for the venue in which the case would be heard.

If you have not done so, I recommend that you speak to an experienced personal injury attorney. That consultation should be free and would offer guidance on how best to proceed.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.