Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/women and child fall over flat cart in food court

Question
My question is about slips and falls. About two years ago my fiancee went shopping to Costco with our 5month old  baby.she finished shopping and got hungry so she went to the food court outside of Costco after ordering she was turning around to head to her table while holding our now 2years and 4 month toddler and fell to the concrete so hard with my daughter in her arms bouncing as they both fell to the concrete tripping over a flat cart that was left there can we do anything no.she was badly brused

Answer
Carlos,

I am sorry to hear about the incident that injured your fiancée and your child.

You may be able to pursue a claim for damages, but the likelihood of winning such a claim depends on many factors. In general, you need to show that the store was negligent in their handling and maintain the flat carts and that the negligence caused injuries to your fiancée and child. You then need to show that your fiancée and child suffered damages because of that negligence.

When the incident happened, did your fiancée notify the store? Where there any witnesses? Do you know how long the flat cart had been standing there? This information would be helpful to know in an effort to demonstrate the negligence of the store. To prove negligence you need to show that the store knew that the cart had been left lying around or that the store should have known. You also need to prove that your fiancée acted reasonably and despite her caution, the cart caused her to fall.

When your fiancée fell, did an ambulance come to the scene? Did she or your child receive any medical treatment? How serious were their injuries? How much treatment did they receive? If they only suffered bruises, it might be difficult to pursue a claim. If the received extensive medical treatment, then you would have evidence of an injury.

If the incident was not reported, it will be difficult to prove a two year old claim with minimal damages. I suggest that you consult a local personal injury attorney who can help you assess the case. That consultation should be free.

I hope this information helps.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt