Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Broken Ankle

I was recently walking on my college campus and accidentally stepped into a hole in the ground.  This caused me to break my ankle  The area was unmarked with anything warning of a hole and it was hard to see.  Is there any action I can take against my college?

I am sorry to hear about your injury and hope you make a fast recovery.

You may have a claim against the school, but the strength of that claim would depend on many factors, including:

1.   Where was the hole? Was it on a path or an area where many people would expect to be walking?
2.   What were you doing at the time of the incident?
3.   Should you have known to expect a hole where you were walking?
4.   Were there any signs or warnings posted?
5.   Was it night or day? What was the lighting like?
6.   What were the weather conditions?
7.   Were there any witnesses?
8.   Did anyone take down an incident report?
9.   Did an ambulance or medics come to the scene?

There are many other issues that could affect the claim. I suggest that you speak to an experienced personal injury attorney who practices near the college. That consultation should be free and the attorney can offer guidance on how you should best proceed.

I hope this helps.  

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience handling car accident and motor vehicle cases, slip and fill cases, medical malpractice, premises liability, pedestrian and bicycle accidents and personal injury cases. I have been named Municipal Attorney of the Year in New York City and had my cases listed among Top Ten Verdicts in New York. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk.

I am a New York personal injury attorney with over 20 years experience. I previously served as Associate Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department and was named New York Municipal Attorney of the Year. I served as Lead Trial Counsel for Manhattan Law firm of Acito and Klein. I have led my solo law practice for over ten years focused on personal injury and medical malpractice awards. My cases have been listed among the Top Trial Verdicts. I publish the leading legal blog, New York Law Thoughts. I am active in the New York Trial Lawyers Association and the Bar Associations of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Suffolk and I serve as a judge in the national collegiate moot court competition. I am admitted to practice in New York and the Federal District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts.

• American Trial Lawyers Association • New York State Bar Association • New York State Trial Lawyers Association • Bronx Bar Association • Brooklyn Bar Association • Suffolk County Bar Association • Holy Cross Alumni Lawyer’s Guild • St. John's University Alumni Association • National Association for Female Executives

My writings have appeared in Newsday, The Long Islander, the Times of Huntington and the legal blog, New York Law Thoughts.

I received my undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and graduated from St. John’s University Law School. I have taken graduate courses at New York University.

• Named Municipal Attorney of the Year • Cases listed among the Top Ten Verdicts in New York State • My blog, New York Law Thoughts, has been listed as one of the leading U.S. Law Blogs

I have had hundreds of clients over my 20 plus years as an attorney. All of my current clients are individuals living in the New York metropolitan area (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester). I can provide references upon request.